Week 20: St. Duthus second half comeback secures Football Times Cup

Posted on Saturday, January 18th, 2020

Golspie Sutherland 2 St. Duthus 3 - Football Times Cup Final

St. Duthus overcame a half time deficit at Dudgeon Park, Brora today to defeat Golspie Sutherland to lift the Inverness Trophy Centre Football Times Cup in an epic cup final encounter.

In blustery conditions, Craig Ross scored the only goal of an evenly fought first period, scoring with a stunning 30 yard strike to give Golspie a 1-0 lead at the break. Ben Bruce turned the tide in the second half however with a clinical double to put Saints into the driving seat. The second was the pick of the bunch, finishing well following a neatly worked one-two with Stefan MacRitchie.

Golspie's chances of a comeback were dealt a blow with twenty minutes remaining when Liam Rostock caught Graeme Williamson off his line with a first time volley which sailed over the keeper into the net. An Adam Sutherland goal from a corner in the final minutes made for a tense finish, but St. Duthus held on for a 3-2 win.

Post-match, North Caledonian FA chairman Iain Whitehead presented Tain captain Cameron Mackintosh with the trophy, on behalf of the association and sponsors Inverness Trophy Centre.

Match highlights below, as recorded by Highland Sports Media.


Bonar Bridge 2 Inverness Athletic 4

At Meadows Park in Dornoch, Inverness Athletic recorded their fourth league win of the season and their first of 2020 with an away win over Bonar Bridge.

Phil Macdonald and Dominick Edwards have Inverness a first half lead and looked like they would go on to enjoy a comfortable afternoon, but they were made to wait until the final ten minutes before they extended their lead to four goals with another from Macdonald and a good finish from Nairn County loanee Jack Maclean.

Bonar Bridge remained undeterred though and they finished the game well, reducing the deficit to two with a brace from Adam Mackay in injury time.

Halkirk United 1 Thurso 1

Halkirk and Thurso shared the spoils at Morrison Park during the first all-Caithness league encounter of the season. Vikings forward Aaron Wilson opened the scoring for his side after 23 minutes with a well taken first time finish and the scores remained in Thurso's favour at the interval.

Midway through the second half, Kyle Henderson fired back for the Anglers with a glancing header doing well to get on the end a looping free kick. No further goals were scored during the latter stages as both teams finished a point apiece.

Match highlights below, as recorded by Picture House, Thurso.